Sunday, June 10, 2012

Confessions of a spoiled Christian

A number of years ago, we renamed our church "CrossRhythm Church."  The thought behind the name was "there are rhythms of life, "patterns" or "stages/passages" of life that we all go through developmentally. These stages include:

1) Early adult transition (17-22) - leave adolescence, make preliminary choices for adult life

2) Entering the adult world (22-28) - make initial choices in love, occupation, friendship, values, lifestyle
3) Age 30 transition (28-33) - changes occur in life structure, either a moderate change or, more often, a severe and stressful crisis
4) Settling down (33-40) - establish a niche in society, progress on a timetable, in both family and career accomplishments; are expected to think and behave like a parent so they are facing more demanding roles and expectations .
5) Mid-life transition (40-45) - life structure comes into question, usually a time of crisis in the meaning, direction, and value of each person's life.  neglected parts of the self (talents, desires, aspirations) seek expression.  Men are seen more as parents than as “brothers” to other men who are somewhat younger than them and this message comes as an irritation at first.  Also at this time, men becoming increasingly aware of death and they are reminded of how short life really is.  They become involved in trying to leave a legacy and this usually forms the core of the second half of his life.

6) middle adulthood (45-50) - choices must be made, a new life structure formed. Person must commit to new tasks. It is here that we have to take all we know and apply it and finish a life of significance or find ourselves completely stagnated because we didn't finish the tasks of former stages of life. 

However, the most important aspect we have to apply to each stage of life is the cross.  This means in each transition we make in life "we must die to our self-life" and recommit ourselves to making Christ the center of our lives. Phil. 1:21 says, "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain." So, we concluded that we would be a people who would learn to apply the Cross to each Rhythm of life.

At this point in my life, after 35 years of great ministry, I've surprised myself at how disillusioned I've become with what I use to think was important in life.  I find myself digging to find things that really matter in life.  My marriage is strong, my kids are doing great, I love where I live and I love the people God has given me to serve. But my spirit is grieved by the American Church world. It preaches "grace" only after getting caught in "sin."  It preaches "forgiveness" only after "abuse, dysfunction, and divorce."  It endorses and enables "addiction" in various forms while promoting "group" co-dependency.  Instead of preaching the gospel, "The American Church" tends to alienate the people who need it the most.  I love Jesus. I love his people (when I can find them).  But, there has got to be more than this current state in our journey of faith than this.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

An American Obsession With Ukraine

 In 1992, a young man from Hillsong Church came and spent time with my wife, Andra and I on his way to join a team planting a church in Kiev...