Monday, February 20, 2012

Place

   I grew up in an age of social revolution.  The generation I grew up with was interested in socio-economic change, political change, cultural change. It's mantra was "We can change the world."  Michael Jackson rightly penned the word's of our generation "We can make the world a better place."  So social justice, equality, and economic opportunity to lift up everyone's chances for a better world has always been something we have been committed to.  However, there has always been a resistance to relinquishing power by my parents generation (those born 1930 through 1940 +/- , the world war II generation).  I find it rather ridiculous that anyone over the age of 70 has not gotten out of the way, settled down and enjoyed their retirement.  Instead you have an older generation still trying to be politicians, business leaders, senior ministers, bishops, educators, TV prognosticators, etc. while a whole new generations could be taking vacant job positions, forging ahead, and creating the glocal civilization they want to live in.  After all, each generation has a right to recreate the world they live in.

    However, my generation which is now entering the 50's is still being told by the 70+ crowd to sit down and shut up - they're not done yet.  I don't mean to be disrespectful (even though the 70+ crowd is) but isn't it time for you to grace the doorways of our national nursing homes so we can take our place. You had your time, you are not going to retain power, you're nearing the end of life - you need to give up your addiction to power and let the younger generations - your grandchildren refashion the world you left them.  The world they are apart of is alien to your World War II era.  There are no more boggie men for you to fight.  No commies, no more Cathedral of Tommrow's to be built, no heirarchies, no more Saddams to be killed and certainly no more bombs needed.  In fact, despite your own alarms, the 21st century will be called a "Leaderless Revolution."  Something "Moderns" will not get because they haven't even recognized that the "Post-modern" culture is here.  Change has come. Modernism has ended and it's time for the rapture of "modernistic thinking" and/or "heirarchical leaders"  (which still has it's head in the clouds) to go ahead and be caught into the air.  Jesus has come to create a "place" for me - your time is up.  No more King Eddies needed.

(See.http://www.christianpost.com/news/video-of-bishop-eddie-long-being-crowned-king-leaves-viewers-confused-68423)

     So when you die, you don't have to worry about your legacy - my generation will ensure that it is rewritten. We get to be revisionist too... something you should be concerned about especially when leaving an impression on those of us you've trampled on. When you die, you'll join the thousands of voices who once thought their theologies, political views, individual lives, and personal histories were important but now serve as the fertilization of grassy lawns of their respective graveyards.  What we all think as important - which was not important to the generation that preceded us will be forgotten. Our place, our lives, our thoughts, our ways are a vapor.  Fushia Pickett, Judson Cornwall, Glen Foster, John Gimenez, Derek Prince, Kathryn Kulman, Oral Roberts, Jesse Winley, Martin Luther King, the Kennedy Brothers, Whitney Houston, and many others are dead and so will we be soon. So, Jesus promised "He goes to prepare a place for us."  So what place has he prepared for us - Heaven, Hell,  a place in life or the academy awards?  What place will we have in history?  Let me just make it clear, I don't believe Jesus intended to die to make us the next American Idol or a famous Bishop in an Episcopalian church system. One of the pastors I once served said to me, "Mike, I once thought I'd like to be a John Wesley or Charles G. Finney but I'm not."  I'm glad he said that.  I'm glad he thaught me that it was just okay to be myself.  I'm not Reverend, Bishop, or seeking to become a charismatic infallible pope.  My parents named me "Mike Berry."  I'm happy to be what they called me, "their son."  I'm happy to be what my wife calls me "her husband."  I'm happy to be what my kids call me - "Dad."  what more is there to be in this life.  I have a "place" given to me by Jesus.

    I have a family, a wonderful family history, a place to live (along the beautiful Chesapeake Bay), a wonderful faith community, a great group of friends (from around the world), two great dogs, and plenty to eat and share with those in need. What more can ask for?  In this place....  now I have the opportunity to give others, to help them find their place whether that be a nursing home, assisted living, a grave yard, college campus, a good school, youth group, or a market place or glocal ministry.  Jesus has a place for you... I would like to help you find it.  My future place will be at Third Haven god-willing in about 40+/- years where my family worshipped for over 150 years.  I hope you will take comfort in this scripture "For when you die and are buried with your ancestors, I will raise up one of your descendants, your own offspring, and I will make his kingdom strong."  What more could we ask for?  
    

No comments:

Post a Comment

An American Obsession With Ukraine

 In 1992, a young man from Hillsong Church came and spent time with my wife, Andra and I on his way to join a team planting a church in Kiev...