Monday, October 24, 2011

Missing Important Moments...


Yesterday, I held my very first anniversary celebration for serving 35 years in ministry. I will hold only one more in 15 years... my 50th. I am not one for doing these kind of things because I am very private, shy about calling attention to anything I do and I do not ask or look for people to honor me whether it be a birthday, an anniversary, or life accomplishment. In fact, I try to avoid such events as much as possible. So if I host such an event its a deeply personal and an important moment for me. That's why if people blow off my invitation or do not respond to my invitation it's hard not to take it personal. There are times and moments in each of lives to tell people that they are important - not through facebook, an e-mail, or text mesage. Face to face or knowing how to communicate in a person's love language is an important way to let them know you care. Showing up at their funeral only communicates to the family you thought about them. The person is gone. How many times do we miss important moment in people's lives. if you miss the moment you can't go back and fix it by cheap excuses like "OH, I had to work." "Oh, I have another family obligation," "I'm sorry but my boss is having an appreciation day for me (at the last minute), and "Oh, I forgot." When you don't come, you make excuses, and blame other circumstances for not coming to an important moment in a person's life especially when you were given advanced notice - you tell them how much you valued them. Thank you for all those who were there for me last night. Thank you for all those who let me know you valued me. Thank you for letting me know that I am your friend. Thank you for letting know how much you care about me and not missing this important moment in my life. See you on my 50th.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An American Obsession With Ukraine

 In 1992, a young man from Hillsong Church came and spent time with my wife, Andra and I on his way to join a team planting a church in Kiev...