Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Cultivating Contentment


Phillipians 4:11 says "... I've learned to be content in whatever situation I'm in."  Life has a way of throwing some defining moments at us that challenges - our status quo, the familiar, life routines, and work structures.
These challenges sometime demand our commitment to "cultivate" a life of contentment and personal growth.  Sometimes these challenges require a re-evaluation of our relationships.  Jim Rohn says you become an average of the five people you associate with most. The people we spend our time with determine what conversations dominate our attention, and what observations, attitudes and opinions we repetitively are introduced to.
Personally over the years, I have kept close relationship with people who are "stable, consistent, not given to change in their family relationships, friendships and work enviroments." I have a great difficulty with people who mishandle their relationships.  I believe God is calling us to "cultivate contentment" in our relationships.  The Apostle Paul said in Acts 20:18 "And when they were come to him, he said unto them, Ye know, from the first day that I came into Asia, after what manner I have been with you at all seasons."  We all go through seasons of life (Ecclesiates 3) marriage, births, mid-life, deaths, grieving periods, etc. The Question is how we remain connected to each other, living and loving each other through the good times and difficult moments.  Throughout the years I am amazed at the poor decisions people have made to not stick with their friends during these difficult moments.  I want to be a faithful friend with the same attitude Jesus had "While we were yet SINNERS Christ died for us." I'm not looking to keep transactional relationships but rather covenant friendships which last through all seasons of life.  I know when I'm old I'll have a great story but the more important things to have is to have someone who shared that story with me.  What kind of people are you cultivating around you in life?  The discontented? or contented drama free types?  Personally I have learned that some people are just addicted to Chaos and want to be perpetual victims.  I don't want to be foolish to keep people like this in my life. I'm looking for my friends to just join together with me and cultivate contentment in our lives together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An American Obsession With Ukraine

 In 1992, a young man from Hillsong Church came and spent time with my wife, Andra and I on his way to join a team planting a church in Kiev...